Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dear Comcast, You Suck

Posted by Ed Tom Bell.

Comcast has made the switch to digital. They told us a long time ago to get a digital converter box, but I didn't listen because they've been threatening to switch to digital for years and I assumed this was another bluff. Consequently, I had to go get a converter box last week.

As it turns out, the box comes with a little IR antenna, and a remote control to point at it. I always liked that our TV set-up only used one remote to control everything, so I set my sights on programming our new remote to work the television so that we could go on needing only one remote. All the new remote had to do was control the power and volume on the television.

After the simple but tedious task of finding a working code for the remote, the power button worked and I thought it was one more chore I could cross off my list. However, the power button wouldn't turn the TV back on. I turned it on manually and tried the power button again, to have it successfully switch off the TV, but fail to turn it back on.

Hours of experimentation yielded the conclusion that the power button would turn off the TV, but to turn it back on, one would have to press any other button and then the power button. In other words, the power button would work, but its function could switch the TV only on or only off, and that function could be changed by pressing any other button on the remote. The volume still doesn't work (not to change the volume, anyway: it changes the aspect ratio).

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you I was much better to just have one control, have you tried regular cable (Megacable) they have some of the english channels, It has worked for us.

    ReplyDelete