Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Do Not Have Photographic Memory

Posted by EZ-27.

A friend and I usually work on homework together two hours a week. This week, she said, "I have a few errands to run, but it won't take long. Can I meet you at one o'clock instead of noon?"

"What kind of errands," I asked.

"Just a few errands."

I assumed they were something embarrassing or personal, so I let it go and agreed to meet at the library in an hour. An hour later, I asked, "So how did your secret errands go?"

"They're not a secret," she replied.

"Well then what are they?"

She hesitated, "Here's the thing, you have a really good memory and it sorta creeps me out, so I'm afraid if I tell you where I went, you'll remember it and bring it up in a year or something."

In her defense, this isn't unfounded paranoia. What she was describing has happened before, and not just once. The problem is that when I bring it up (in casual conversation) a year later, she has forgotten that she was the one who told me, so that it looks like I know something that I shouldn't innocently know. In the past I've been able to convince her the context of the conversation in which she told me this seemingly obscure fact, but who knows how long I can keep that up?

When she said, "I'm afraid you'll remember it," I was shocked. This is the first time someone has withheld information from me, not because they don't want me to know it, but because they might forget it. Then again, it might just be the first time someone has admitted it. Either way, I tried to express to her that I never had a choice in the matter and that it's not fair to judge me for it. She eventually told me what her errands were, though I have a feeling she wasn't telling the whole truth.

I'm sort of hoping it was embarrassing or personal and that the creepy memory thing was just an excuse or a cop-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment