Thursday, February 18, 2010

You'd Have to Quit Smoking, Too

Posted by Randle Patrick McMurphy.

There was a pregnancy scare among a small group of friends of mine. A friend of a friend was "late" and the worries were building up. As far as I know, it looks negative, so she's off the hook this time. I'm glad that she's probably not pregnant because she's certainly not ready for a child. However, when I first heard the news, I was almost surprised at how indifferent I was. This was a life changing experience for this woman, and still is even she turns out not to be pregnant, but I can't seem to care at all.

I think the reason I have no sympathy for her is that this isn't something that's completely beyond her control. What I mean is, there were a number of poor decisions to be made by her to lead to this predicament. Most importantly among them: the choice to have unsafe sex. If it turned out that she was safe and that something went wrong, then for the most part, that was beyond her control, and I think I would feel a little worse for her, but the possible consequences of unprotected sex are well known and there is no excuse for an educated adult to be in such a situation. I realize that using a condom does make sex less enjoyable, but you know what's really unenjoyable? Having a child when you're in no place in your life to raise one.

If it turns out to be a false negative, and she actually is pregnant, I'm not saying it was all her fault. The father would have a lot to answer for as well. I'm saying that it's important to take responsibility for your baser instincts and be able to control them, and be smart about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment