Monday, February 15, 2010

With Headlines Like These

Posted by Stephen Harper
I enjoy a good sporting event like anyone else. Basketball game? Sure! Soccer match? I'm in! Winter Olympics? NO. Not only do the Winter Olympics look puny and stupid in comparison to the Summer (Real) Olympics, but everyone seems to think that when I say 'I don't care' I really mean: 'When I say No, just try harder.'
Let's start with the recent death of the Georgian Luger. It's sad when someone dies at what is intended to be a clean sporting event. It would almost be acceptable to hear about it and all the details around it every time I turn on any sort of news or talk show for a week if he had been doing something like track and field or soccer. The man was racing down an iced track on a non protective device going as fast as possible. What the hell did people think would happen eventually? Not to mention it's a lame sport. Just like Curling or Biathalon or Figure Skating or that one where the skiers go down a hill and off a jump. Who cares?
All of this would be a non-issue with me if it wasn't thrown in my face everywhere. Like when I check my e-mail and get headlines like: "Snowboarder Complains About Peers' Pants" or "Ski Champ Dad's Awkward Moment." It's even on real news channels like The New York Times.
I can respect any 'sport' people dedicate themselves to and competitions for them. That does not mean it should be an Olympic Sport because people do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment